- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 9 - ounce can tomato puree
- 1 large sprig basil, dried, fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound soft tofu
- 1/4 pound trimmed spinach leaves, fresh
- 8 ounces 1-, or 2-percent fat cottage cheese
- black pepper to taste, Freshly ground
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Parmesan, or other strong-flavored hard cheese
DirectionsBriefly saute minced garlic in large skillet in its own oil.
Add puree, leaves from fresh basil or dried basil and mushrooms.
Cook over low heat while preparing tofu.
Wash tofu and slice through the middle to make 8 equal pieces.
Arrange 4 slices of tofu on tomato sauce.
Top with cottage cheese, spinach leaves and remaining 2 slices of tofu.
Sprinkle with pepper and spoon some of tomato sauce over tofu sandwiches.
Arrange slices of cheese on top.
Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat.
Check once or twice and if sauce is becoming too thick, add 2 or 3 tablespoons water.