Eggplant and Tomato Stew (Guiso de Berenjena) Recipe
- 3 pounds Chinese eggplant
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 cups and diced tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons whole cumin, ground, toasted and
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seed, ground, toasted and
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
DirectionsWash the eggplants and cut them in half lengthwise.
Slice them into half rounds about 1/4 inch thick.
In a large frying pan, heat 1/3 cup of the oil over medium-high heat, and cook a third of the eggplant in the oil until golden brown.
Repeat with the remaining eggplant in two more batches, using 1/3 cup oil for each batch.
After all the eggplant is cooked, place it on a plate and set aside.
Add the onion and red pepper to the pan, and cook over medium heat until soft and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
Pour off the excess oil, then add the sherry vinegar to the pan, scraping up any of the browned bits that have adhered to the bottom with a wooden spoon.
Cook until the vinegar has evaporated, then add the tomatoes.
Cook the tomatoes over low heat until they are thickened and saucy.
Add the cumin and coriander, then return the eggplant to the pan and continue cooking on low heat for about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir in the cilantro.