Spaghetti with Pancetta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound thickly sliced pancetta, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 small red onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup basil, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese, Freshly grated, for serving
DirectionsHeat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet.
Add the pancetta and cook over moderate heat until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat until shimmering.
Add the onions and cook over moderately high heat until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the pancetta and sun-dried tomatoes and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes longer.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the basil and season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente.
Drain the spaghetti, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
Add the spaghetti to the skillet along with 1/4 cup of the cooking water and toss over moderate heat until combined.
Transfer to a bowl and serve, passing the Parmesan at the table.