Sichuan Chicken Salad
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 small red, fresh, minced, including seeds or green chilies
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced, peeled and
- 2 scallions, minced, white part only
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese white rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- 2 whole chicken breasts, shredded, poached, cooled and
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coriander, fresh, chopped, (leaves and stems)
DirectionsCut the celery thinly on the diagonal; stack and cut into matchstick shreds.
In enough water to cover the celery, parboil it for 10 seconds; drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.
Drain again and set aside.
Mix the chilies, ginger, garlic and scallions with soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt and white pepper in a bowl, and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
Toss with the chicken, sesame oil, celery and coriander.
Allow to sit 5 minutes; toss again and serve.